Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dark Sweet Cherries

Since I am making an effort to eat healthier, I am eating more and more fruit.  I have always loved fresh fruit.  It is just so dang expensive!!  I bought some fresh frozen fruit the other day, though and I am pleasantly surprised.

Tonight, I made myself a treat.  Yesterday I mentioned using a Nectar chocolate shake to cure my hot chocolate craving.  Well, tonight I did another Nectar treat.  I made the chocolate shake with 12 ounces skim milk and a handfull of frozen sweet black cherries.  It was a nice creamy smooth yummy treat.  The kids even liked it!  This one will def. go on the make again list.  At only 128 total calories, I don't see where I can go wrong.

I hadn't had cherries in ages.  I had forgotten how good they really are!  The frozen fresh pineapple is yummy too.  But those cherries--WOW!!  It was so good I felt like I was cheating.  Tomorrow, I am going to use some of the cherries, crush them, add a little bit of fresh orange juice, and some chipotle pepper to make a dressing.  I am going to put it in a pita with turkey, avocado, lettuce and tomato with just a little bit of cheese.  I bet it will be so good.  I have made this dressing with raspberries, but the cherries are gonna be better.

I think I know why so many Americans are overweight.  It is because fresh produce is so expensive.  It is much more economical to buy processed, canned fruit and veggies.  I spent 140$ extra at the grocery store just buying fresh rather than canned.  I did buy the frozen to try them, as they are a little more affordable.  So my motto will be fresh before frozen, frozen before canned, and canned only as a last resort.

I will have to be a little more diligent this summer about canning and freezing our garden produce.  If I had done better, we would still have some.  But, I just threw most of it away.  I got tired of looking at it and cleaning it.  Bad Laurie, bad bad Laurie!!  LOL.  Lesson learned.


Hugs and Love,

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment