Monday, January 24, 2011

What If We All Did That?

Okay--I know this blog is supposed to be about me and my journey to fitness, but I have something else on my mind today.  I read a post on FB today that has me bothered.  It said, "Only live you life to please yourself".

Maybe I  took that statement too literally.  Seriously, though.  What if everyone did just that.  What if everyone lived their life only to please themselves?  Isn't our society already selfish enough?  What kind of economical hardships would our country be facing if this was the attitude of every single American?  Not to mention every single human being in the whole world!  I tell my kids all the time to always try their hardest.  "You don't have to be perfect!" I say.  Sure, I would like for them to make the BEST grades, and be the FASTEST at the track meet and make the MOST baskets or tackles, etc......  But in the end all I really want is for them to be happy, healthy, well adjusted adults.  Good parents and good husbands.  Mostly, though, all I really want is to raise good, decent and kind human beings.

There are a lot of children on FB.  I know.  My son has his own FB account.  He is very impressionable.  What if he read that statement and took it literally.  And decided to do just that.  What if he said "To hell with everyone else, I don't like long division and I am not going to do it.  It doesn't make me happy!" 

Maybe everyone should start to live their lives as if every single person in the world is looking at them as an example.  Maybe we should all strive to set an example for every single human being on the face of this Earth.  An example of kindness, love and understanding.  An example of what it means to be a good and decent human being.  What if we all decided to live by the golden rule?  What if we all decided to treat others exactly how we want to be treated ourselves? Would our world be improved?  I think so.  What do you think?

What if we all did THAT instead!?

Hugs and Love, Laurie

1 comment:

  1. I'll try again: I sometimes struggle with texting with my "not so smart" phone.... Anyway, I was just wanting to express my appreciation of your comments that essentially embrace the "golden rule." It is quite scripturally sound.

    I have been contemplating the writing of a little, somewhat humorous booklet that I thought I'd title "What if we all did that?" Please let me know what you think of this small, yet perhaps meaningful, endeavor. Thanks! Ryan

    ReplyDelete